Tuesday 20 January 2015

Ich Liebe Deutschland ! MHx (Songs & Whispers Tour Diary 2)


10 days in the the German leg of the Peace, Love & Tea European Tour and, I have to say it, I'm starting to become quite fond of this little old place ! So rich in colour, people, there's a vibrancy, a history, even a warmth in the midst of winter, I know everyone's driving on the wrong side of the road still, and the kms make no sense where my miles would, but what can you do in the middle of the German countryside snow ?? Write a strongly word letter to the Kaiser, Napoleon or Angela Merkel and hope to find a post box ? I don't think so ...

Anyways, music ? Yeah, I've played quite a lot of it, and - like Ringo Starr upon the 'Helter Skelter' - "I've got blisters on me fingers!" but alles gut ! And it is to Hamburg I am heading tonight having just played a great little show in the theatre of the University of Bremen.

Last night I was right up on the most far north-western coast of Germany, a place called Emden, just over the harbour lay the Netherlands, I played some English songs, it was an old Polish cake shop, of which the now Turkish owner told me he sells beers to all ages, even 70 and 80 year olds who remember it as the only place you could buy cakes on a Sunday for 50km, students from each part of Germany and Holland gather and speak great English, and some of those from Belgium speak up to 5 languages, the beer and tea and coffee is from afar a field as Brazil and the wine from Lating nations of Italy, France and Spain, I have found Americans, Russians, and Scandinavian folk drinking Guinness ...

... I ate Börek (Turkish pastry filled with egg, mushrooms and spinach) and vegan pancakes in Canadian maple syrups in amongst the crowd was an old stained glass window maker from Birmingham with a lady friend, and next time an English or an American tells you that "Germans and/or Muslims have no sense of humour" tell them that's just not the case. I met the loveliest young man whose family originated from Jordan in the Middle East but he was born in the little town of Delmenhorst just outside of Bremen.

The graffiti under one of the autobahn bridges reads "The Only Good Nation is Imagination" and I say all this I say as a European, Internationalist, happy and healthy member of the human race plying my trade on the continent ... we are all one and interconnected with our own cultural and spiritual reference points but Love and kindness connects us all ! Cast aside any ideas or anyone you come across espousing the ideas of fear, embrace one and all, and never feel uneasy ! Peace, Love & Tea x

And remember ... Your Eyes Are Made Of Gold ...


No comments:

Post a Comment